Thursday, November 6, 2008

Being sick is no fun!!

This is definitely something that should be added to the mommy handbook! When you are sick before kids, you simply crawl into bed, spend a few days feeling yucky and then all is well. When you are a mommy, you don't get to be sick. You do, but you most certainly don't get to crawl into bed and get over it. You have to be on call 24/7. A 7month old doesn't quite understand that you don;t feel good.
I started feeling a little under the weather last week, but it never really got too bad. By Sunday, I had a cough that was getting worse and would not go away. Tuesday, when Sam went to school, I canceled everything I had, went home and slept the whole 5 hours. Boy, that was soooo nice. Wednesday, my cough was getting worse, and I was concerned about it turing into something more. i am not really the doctor type, but now that I have a child, I figured it was the responsible thing to do. I went in and gave her my symptoms. Her first response was - I think you have RSV. I thought, WHAT? I thought only kids got that. At least I knew it ws very serious in kids. She said that over the last 2 weeks she had seen about 5 to 10 adults each day with it. She wanted to test me for it. I tested positive. For us it is no worse than a bad upper respiratory infection. However, for Sam it could be very serious. At this point I was way more concerned for her than I was for me. Todd came home from work, and is working from home, 1/2 days, through next week. Their advice was wash your hands frequently, Lysol everything and stay away from her as much as possible. Yeah right. She's 7 months old. She can't do anything for herself. Fortunately she has been a real trooper. She has happily played by herself most of the day. I feel so bad for not playing with her, but I guess I am doing her a much bigger favor. the dr said that because I am still nursing her, she is getting the antibodies that my body is make for the RSV. that is her best line of defense, but if she starts getting a cough or congestion, I need to get her in immediately.
Please say a pray that my sweet baby girl stays well.
I am home until next Friday. She said to stay away from people until then. At that point I should be well past the contagious stage.
Fun times for us!!

No comments: