Sunday, February 27, 2011

What's in a Name?

Today is my dads 68th birthday!  My mom ask us this year to take time to write out something special for him and read it.  I don't think she knows what a difficult request that is.  Not because Ican't think of a million wonderful things to say about my dad, but because she wants us to read it out loud.  Not sure I can make it through that in my hormonal state(ok that is just a good excuse, I would be a mess without the extra hormones!:)  I decided it would be easier to write it and let him read it, so here goes...

I am so very blessed to have such a wonderful and amazing person to call dad. No matter where we have been or what we have done, you have always been there for us: loving, teaching and guiding.  You showed us by example what it means to be a Godly husband and father.  You taught us what is most important in life, and that is to have a relationship with the one true God! One of my favorite memories today is still our father daughter dates in which you taught us how we should expect to be treated.  You set the bar for my future husband very high.  While many tried to impress, only one passed the test.  Thanks for teaching me not to settle for anything less than the best. You taught us what it meant to be a family and the importance of spending that time together.  You instilled in us strong Christian values, and instead of just telling us, you modeled it for us.  You and mom gave us, and our kids,  a gift that money could never buy, and that is a Legacy! Now that we have our own kids, we understand even more the challenges you faced, and we are ever amazed at how in the world you did it. We have the utmost respect for you and the amazing job you did with us! I am reminded of one thing you and mom always taught us.  From Proverbs 22:1, "A good name is to be chosen rather than great wealth..."  Now we are trying to pick out a name for our son.  We have given it a lot of consideration.  To have a strong name that comes from a great legacy is very important to us both.  His first name Max, comes from  his Papi - Roy Max Gonzalez and means: a teachable spirit.  His middle name will be Fittz and comes from his Pops - James Douglas Fittz and means: son of the mighty one, hopeful.
We are honored to pass on this legacy to Max Fittz Gonzalez, he will certainly have some big shoes to fill.
In the beginning I ask the question, "What's in a name?", well I think a lot, especially when it comes from two such wonderful men!

Love you Dad, and Happy Birthday!
Jenn, Todd, Sam, Ali and Max

No comments: